Thursday, June 7, 2012

See you again someday...

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while.  A lot has been going on lately so I haven't had a chance to jump on here and blog about how Wyatt and us are doing.  Recently Wyatt's great grandfather passed away.  A few months back, I was able to take the last picture taken of Gread Grandpa.  His service was just this past monday, June 4th. 
Wyatt with Great Grandma and Great Grandpa
The day Great Grandpa passed, I left work, picked Wyatt up and headed over to Great Grandma's and Grandpa's house.  It was a very sad day that day.  When we arrived, we just missed them taking Grandpa away.  GGrandpa had surgery just about 2 weeks before.  He was home a few days after his surgery and was chatting and alert.  GGrandpa got to see Wyatt roll over from his back to his tummy that day.  He also got to hear Wyatt giggle as I was tickling his tummy.  GGrandpa kept telling Wyatt how he was going to tell him all kinds of stories about his Grandpa (Wyatt's Grandpa).  He was also telling Wyatt how he was going to tell him how to get into things (get in trouble basically).  We all miss you GGrandpa.  But we're all glad that you're not suffering anymore.  I'm glad GGrandpa got to watch Wyatt grow and develop as a baby.  Even though it was only 6 months, He has grown a lot.  Size-wise and physically/mentally.  I remember bringing him over when he was just weeks old.  How tiny he was and how all he wanted to do was eat, sleep and poop.  Last Christmas, we were invited to spend Christmas day at Grandma's and also with GGrandma and GGrandpa.  I told daddy that I wanted to spend that Christmas with GGrandma and GGrandpa, just in case it might be the last Christmas.  And I'm glad we did.  Wyatt was just a few months old then.  And still the same.  He just ate, slept and pooped. 

While I was on maternity leave, we would try to visit GGrandma and GGrandpa as much as possible.  Some days it would be just me and Wyatt visiting when daddy was working.  The visits were always hours long because visits were always fun.  Even though GGrandpa was a stubborn old man, he had such a warm and caring heart.  It was always fun to hang out with him.  To joke with him and just be there.  If you knew Grandpa, you would know his wealthy knowledge of antiques.  He had this obsession with peddle cars!  I always saw a little blue peddle car toy behind the couch.  I asked daddy about it one day and that's when I found out GGrandpa had that obsession.  Oh!  And his squirrels!!!  He has a few wood containers in the backyard filled with peanuts for his squirrels.  He was always talking about them.  How their fur was, or how the squirrels would chase each other.  Or how one would be sun bathing.  He loved his squirrels.  He would spend $20 per week just on a bag of peanuts for his squirrels.  Even though I only knew GGrandpa for only 5 years, I feel like we've been family for years.  He really did make me feel like his family.  He was always telling me to keep daddy in line.

My most favorite memory of GGrandpa was when GGrandma was in the hospital for surgery (this was years before Wyatt was born).  A few years before then, my grandmother passed away and was in the hospital in ICU for a while before going to a care home and she was very close to me.  Anyways, we all went to visit GGrandma in the hospital to send her well wishes.  Since it was ICU, only 2 at a time were allowed in.  So Daddy and Uncle went in first.  While the rest (me, Grandpa, GGrandpa and Aunt) of us were waiting outside, I started thinking about my Grandmother (who I call Lola).  And it started to bring back memories of her and of how much I missed her and the feeling I felt when I was told she passed away and the feeling I felt at her funeral.  So I had all this sadness just hit me like a brick all at once while we were waiting to be next to see GGrandma.  I didn't want to just start crying in front of them.  So I snuck away quietly to start crying because I couldn't hold it in anymore.  A few minutes later, I saw GGrandpa who was looking for me.  He knew why I was crying.  He sat me down in the waiting room and comforted me.  GGrandpa had a big heart.

We love you GGrandpa... Don't have too much fun with my relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment